Are your mornings as hectic as most? Most people struggle to find time for a healthy and end up grabbing some toast and running out the door or skipping it altogether. Eating something for breakfast is usually better than skipping, as that first meal of the day can get your metabolism going and give you some energy.
I often encourage clients to include protein in their breakfast for to boost their morning concentration levels and keep them more satisfied until the lunchtime meal. My new favorite is Egg Muffin Cups. You can make these ahead with a muffin tin and then freeze 1 or 2 in a ziplock for a quick breakfast. Just grab and heat microwave for 1 minute and you are out the door !
• 1 bell pepper, diced *
• 1/4 red onion, diced *
• 1 cup diced baby tomatoes, diced *
• 1 big handful spinach, chopped *
• 12 eggs, whisked together in a large bowl
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
* You can use 2 cups of any of your favorite vegetables!
Directions 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 12 cup muffin pan with oil. 2. Heat a pan over medium heat with a teaspoon of oil 3. Add bell pepper and sauté for about 2 minutes 4. Add the onions and tomatoes and saute for another 2 minutes 5. Add spinach, salt, pepper and garlic power. Stir until the spinach wilts slightly and then remove from the heat. 6. Spoon veggie mixture evenly into the bottom of each muffin cup 7. Whisk together the 12 eggs and pour evenly into each muffin cup
8. You can sprinkle 1/3 cup shredded low-fat cheese over the top of muffins before baking if desired 9. Bake for 22-24 mins. The center should be set (not watery).
Freeze 1 or 2 per ziplock bag. Reheat in microwave for 1 minute. Enjoy!